Thursday, December 04, 2014

Baby, it's cold outside


"What's in this drink?", she asks in the 70 years old classic song of the winter season.

And today was such a cold day when I didn't need any other reason to stay home and have a good, warming tea. I chose one of my favorite: the Red Extreme Delight! This red tea (hung cha) made from the Taiwanese qingxin Oolong cultivar, but grown in Yunnan Province, in the mountains of Mojiang.
The Chaxi decoration uses 2 quilts made by my dear mom. They convey perfectly the 'cold outside' feeling that we counter with a festive red color.
That's also why I switched to my (red) zhuni teapot to brew this tea. Yixing zhuni maintains the boiling at a very temperature (higher than porcelain).
And the zhuni clay is also very suitable to express the exquisite fragrances of this Red Extreme Delight tea. The notes are so high and clear!
Among the open leaves, we find many smaller leaves and buds. There's a high portion of whole, unbroken leaves. And we can also see that the oxidation isn't exactly 100%, but slightly less. That's why this red tea feels so fresh and crisp.
In Taiwan, when it's cold outside, it's also cold inside, because houses are not equipped with heating. In such circumstances, the red tea's warming character is the most suitable. It makes you feel warm inside and it delights you with delicious scents and a refined aftertaste.
I wish you a wonderful Xmas season. And if you're looking for that special tea gift, I may have just what you're looking for in my tea boutique...

No comments: